Friday, September 16, 2011

My Own More Than Fine Story

I lived in the Just Fines for most of my life. Looking in from the outside, you would think I had everything I needed to feel completely fulfilled. But there was always an element missing. At times I could ignore it and at others, it was just like this dull ache that sapped my energy and left me feeling blaaaaah.

I did lots of things to find the More that I was looking for. But in the beginning, all of these things were outside of myself. Looking back, I now see that one of my strategies for dealing with the Just Fines was to push myself and give myself challenging new things to do.

I learned a lot through those experiences and did a lot of interesting and fun things--I was an exchange student in Sweden for a year and then ended up staying for 6 more years, I returned to school in my 30s and earned my Masters in TESOL and then I went off to teach English at a university in Finland. I returned to Sweden for 8 more years and taught Business English and managed the Language Department at a Training company. So while I learned a lot through these big transitions, this strategy would only work for a little while and then those Just Fines would creep back in.

The beginning of the turnig point for me was when I made a pivotal Just Fine decision. I was in California and I took a job that seemed Fine, but was so wrong for me that I ended up getting really sick. That was a really dark time in my life and it was after that, I started waking up and paying more attention.

And the end of the big turning point came a few years ago when I started working with a coach. At the time, I was living in Sweden, leading a good life and I was at a perfect Just Fine stage and that aching had returned. Working with a coach changed my life. I started really getting clear about what was important to me in life and stopped basing decisions on what made sense or what I ‘should’ do.

Today, I am living my MORE--which is exciting,fulfilling and fills me with contentment and joy. That doesn’t mean there aren’t challenges, changes and transitions all the time. It just means that I am living from that place of knowing and enjoying where I am right now and finding my own power in this whole process.


What does my story bring up for you?

No comments:

Post a Comment