Sunday, August 26, 2012

The Place YOU Call Home

Unless something changes before next month, this blog is a short introduction to next month's newsletter. If you happened to miss my newsletter lately, you can view them by finding Read My Newsletters in the right hand column.

I have long been intrigued by the concept of Home and what it means to all of us and each of us. I'm sure part of my fascination with this subject is because for so many years, I lived so far away from the city/state/country that I called home. Maybe this made me feel more sensitive to the feelings of home.

When does the place or city you live in become your home? How long does it take before a new place becomes home? Does it happen instantly or does it take some time? Are there certain things that need to be in place before you get this feeling? Can you live in one place for years and still feel like it's not really home? Do the feelings of home change? These have been things I have wondered about over the years.

I remember when I decided to leave Sweden to return to California in 2011, I was surprised by the responses of many people - especially those who had lived in Sweden for 20 and 30 years. When I told them my news, there were many who said, 'I think often about going home'. For some reason, I had thought that most of those individuals had made Sweden their home and that they no longer entertained thoughts of going back to the country where they were born. I had never heard these people ever say anything about 'home' before, but it was obviously something that was always present for them.

I am soon off on a trip to Sweden for a visit and that's why I think next month will be the perfect time to explore the topic further in my newsletter.

In the meantime, what are some questions or thoughts that come up for YOU about home?

No comments:

Post a Comment