Monday, July 2, 2012

The squeals of childhood


Have you seen or heard a kid squeal lately? There are lots of things that might make a child squeal - could be a fun game, or splashing in a pool or bouncing high on a trampoline... The list is really endless.

And now I have another question for you. Do you remember when YOU were a kid and you did something sooooooooo wonderful that you just had to squeal?? What was it that made you squeal as a child? Do you remember? I know I squealed in the ocean. It was such a treat and it felt so exciting and free. I also remembering squealing on rollercoasters... Otherwise, I think I missed out on squealing. I was always afraid of sticking out too much.

I got the urge the other day for that kind of squeal. I had told a friend of mine that the roller-coaster at the Boardwalk was calling me and that I thought it would fulfill the need for the child-like squeal. I hadn't ridden a rollercoaster in YEARS. She called one day and said she had an hour in between errands and wondered if she could come and pick me up so we could go for a rollercoaster ride. I was in the middle of writing an article and felt like a break would help me move through my current writing standstill. So if I hesitated at all, it was a nano-second.

She came, picked me up, drove us to the boardwalk, parked the car, we bought tickets, stood in line for about 5 minutes and then squealed for a few more minutes on the ride. The energy around me felt limitless for those few minutes.

When I got home, I felt energized, open and creative. It brought me to a space that we don't always allow ourselves to be in out in the world - where we can just express total joy and/or excitement that bubbles up in us uncontrollably. Giving myself the opportunity to do that was like giving myself a little energy kick and totally changed the space around the writing that I was doing.

So, I invite you to think back and see what things come to mind from your childhood? When did you experience such joy that it was impossible to contain it? And what could you do today (ok, I'll cut you some slack - today or tomorrow :) ) that would allow you to tap into those feelings (whether you remember them from your childhood or not)? Maybe you need a kick of energy or want to change the space your in or just want to feel that child-like excitement and joy. I can highly recommend a rollercoaster!


<p>Image: <a href="http://www.freedigitalphotos.net" target="_blank">FreeDigitalPhotos.net</a></p>

No comments:

Post a Comment